2:32 min| 262,112 views
Minecraft is an incredibly popular video game, but many parents don't know what the game is about. Here are ten things you should know about Minecraft.
For more media-savvy parenting tips, movie ratings, reviews, and more, visit Common Sense Media.
Help, my kid is obsessed with Minecraft.
Should I be concerned?
What is the game about?
Rhianwen Benner: Well, it's not the first time we've heard these questions and it probably won't be the last. That's why we've created this list of 10 things parents should know about Minecraft.
1. Unlike a lot of video games, Minecraft has no real plot or objective. Kids can create worlds and explore however they'd like.
2. Minecraft isn't new. It's been around since 2009 and continues to attract kids ages 5 and up.
3. Minecraft can be played on a SmartPhone, tablet, console, computer, and handheld gaming device.
4. Minecraft has both single and multiplayer modes. The best way for kids to use multiplayer mode is to host or join a private world with their friends.
5. Even though the graphics look a little old school, kids can end up building really cool stuff.
6. There are two main modes: creative mode, where kids have unlimited materials to build whatever they want, and survival mode, where they must live off the land and fend off monsters.
7. Okay, this one may not be news to most of you, but kids can get pretty absorbed in the game and may want to play for hours.
8. When not playing Minecraft, kids like to watch—you guessed it, lots of Minecraft videos on YouTube. Although they’re looking for entertainment and inspiration, remember it's YouTube, so they could come across some inappropriate content.
9. Although violence isn’t the draw, things can get pretty scary. Some players simply enjoy destroying stuff. Sometimes, though, it's necessary to kill and creatures and players can die.
And finally, 10. Minecraft has a school version, Minecraft EDU. Both versions have been used to teach chemistry, physics, history, and English. So if you hear your kids talking about Creepers, redstone, and biomes, don’t worry. It's just Minecraft.
For more Minecraft tips, visit us at commonsense.org.